Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Wonderful Mind of a Child

Young children (preschoolers,especially) are so amazing to observe.  They see the world differently from anyone else.   The way they associate one thing with another, coupled with their impulsiveness, can be both brilliant and quite comical at the same time.

Yesterday, I drove my daughter and her two children to my 12 mo. old granddaughter's doctor appointment.  My role included keeping my 2 yr. 10 mo. old grandson occupied.  When my grandson got antsy in the waiting room, I took him outside to walk around for a bit.  We also rode the elevator a few times (a fun, new experience for him).  At one point, we sat in the hallway outside the doctor's suite.  No one was around at the time, and there were very soft, comfy benches on which to sit.  We sat and looked up and down the short hallway.  It was a very nicely decorated area.   Potted plants sat on attractive plant stands, a beautifully carved table was under the window on which had been placed ornate vases or Turkish-looking jars, an unusual, yet attractive, mirror hung on the wall.  My grandson commented or asked questions on just about every item he saw in that hallway.  When he ran out of questions, we both sat looking down at the absolutely gorgeous, dark hardwood floor. 

I gazed at that floor, thinking how it reminded me of the floors in older homes.  I love antiques and vintage furniture, especially when they are paired with Victorian architecture.  My grandson, though, was having thoughts along a completely different line as he sat there looking at that floor.  Suddenly, he jumped down from the bench on which we were sitting and exclaimed, "Let's EXERCISE !" Then he got down on that floor, laid on his belly and proceeded to do a push-up!   lol!    He was obviously thinking about the "Gym Day" outing of the previous week with our homeschool group.

3 comments:

  1. They definitely think outside of the box most of the time :) Yesterday, my son wanted to know why a dragon fly was named as such. We pulled out the encyclopedia and it said that its name meant darning needle. Well, he then looks at me and says. Dragon has nothing to do with needles SO WHY is dragon in the name! Ha ha. He has a point! I have yet to find the full answer ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...now this has got me to wondering the same thing! lol! This calls for more in-depth research.

    Kids can sure put us on the spot with their questions. But then, that is the first step to learning anything...to ask a question - to wonder about something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminded me of being in a restaurant recently ... the little boy at the table next to us asked a bajillion questions. "What's a door ... why is there a door ... who uses the door ... what's a door?" He was especially intrigued with the door. He reminded us of when our little guys would do the same thing. In a way, I miss those days.

    Enjoyed this blog. Also really like your new format! I've been so busy lately that I haven't been blog-hopping much. I need to get back soon & catch up!

    ReplyDelete

No foul language or personal attacks will be tolerated on this blog.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.